alice-teacher Moving a hovercraft/drone

Don Slater don at alice.org
Tue Jan 14 08:13:47 EST 2020

Carl,
You did not mention if you were using Alice 2 or Alice 3. I am assuming that you are using Alice 2.

I created a boolean property for the world, named it isActive, and set its value to false.

I created a world method called startPropellers

	while isActive
		do together
			turn each propeller to the right one revolution in ½ second, abruptly

For the events

	When S is pressed, set isActive to true  (I am using A is a toggle switch on)

	When A is pressed, set isActive to false

	When U is pressed, if isActive, move up ½ meter in ½ second, abruptly. — the drone will not move up if isActive is false

	When D is pressed, if isActive, move down ½ meter in ½ second, abruptly — the drone will not move down if isActive is false

	When the variable isActive changes, do the startPropellers method

	Let the arrow keys move the drone — These will turn the drone left and right, move the drone forward (up key) and backward (down key)

I have attached an html document of the code for printing, a copy of the working world, and a copy of the drone.a2c class if anyone does not have it in their gallery.

Let me know if you are using Alice 3, as the events will be different (and I would be curious as to what model the students were using.)

Alice Project