alice-teacher Question

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 14 11:16:24 EST 2012

There is no single center for Alice accreditation. We provide certificates at the end of our Alice workshops, documenting the participation in the workshop and the number of hours the workshop lasted. Each participant then can take this certificate back to their school, school district, or state board of education, and each of these will have some process to convert these hours into professional development units.

For the workshops we hold at Carnegie Mellon University in Pennsylvania, we can issue professional development credits for Pennsylvania teachers through the Continuing Education Office of Carnegie Mellon, after we have submitted a syllabus and description of the workshop to the CE Office.

That is my understanding of how things work in the states, that certification has to come through some office recognized by a state department of education.

For the Alice project to issue a certificate on its own, would not carry much weight.

We are looking at working with our partners at the Oracle Academy to develop an accreditation similar to other Oracle programs. But even Oracles certification comes through a partnership with a university here in the states.

This is a long answer to a short question. You are free to set up a certification program that is appropriate for your area, and we at the Alice Project will be very happy to work with you in terms of what we think an Alice certification might look like.  But you will always have the freedom to modify our recommendations to fit what works best for you.