alice-teacher Variables

Susan Seuferer susan.seuferer at chariton.k12.ia.us
Tue Nov 6 11:23:14 EST 2012

I like to use post office boxes as an example.  You can have row of boxes
identified by a number (variable name) in which mail (data) is stored
temporarily.  It can be reused as needed.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 7:05 AM, EILEEN PELUSO <Pelusoem at lycoming.edu> wrote:

>  I often lead in by reminding students that computers hold a lot of
> information, and that in this particular program that we’re working on, we
> need to keep a few pieces of information (then I get specific, e.g. it’s a
> yes/no answer from the user, it’s the number of seconds left in our game).
> Then I say, “To do that, we use something called variables.  We give each
> piece of information that we need to keep a name, and when we use that
> name, what we actually get is that piece of information.”  Then, when we go
> to define our variables, we talk about how information can be of different
> types, e.g. number, etc., and the notion of giving it an initial value.
> The first variable I have students define is a Boolean.  We ask the user a
> yes/no question (specifically, do they want to see their character do a
> little magic), and then we use an if/else to make the character act
> accordingly.****
>
> ** **

Susan Seuferer
Business Teacher/FBLA Adviser
Chariton High School
501 N. Grand
Chariton, IA  50049
641-774-5066 x. 2103
641-774-3404 (fax)
susan.seuferer at chariton.k12.ia.us

--
Confidentiality Statement: This message is intended only for the use of the
Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.