alice-teacher Beginner Assignment

ThomasWhite thomaswhite at mvcs.org
Thu Nov 1 16:48:17 EDT 2012

Just to jump on the bandwagon, I use a similar first day lesson with both my Middle School Alice class, and my High School App Programming class.  I pick a student who becomes our robot, and place him/her somewhere in the room.  Then I challenge the students to write a program that gets our robot to the door.  First, we have to create a syntax, which usually ends up being 2 commands: walk and turn.  Then they realize they need parameters: direction and amount.  Then they realize that they need arguments for the parameters: forward, backward, right, left etc.  Within a very short time we've got syntax that looks something like this:
[robotJames walkDirection: forward steps:2]
[robotJames turnDirection: right degrees:90]
[robotJames openDoor]

Even at the Middle School age, within 2 days they have the syntax down, and they have no idea that I have secretly got them following Objective-C syntax-more importantly they've been effectively introduced to words like "object", "method", "parameter", and "argument."

At first, I let them give the robot commands in real time.  But then, I challenge them to write the code in completion-they have to "de-bug" by getting up and testing one another's programs-this naturally leads into decision structures, not to mention a lot of movement and bumping into one another-totally fun at the Middle School level!

Finally, I challenge them to write a program that gets the robot to the door from anywhere in the room-this leads into repetition structures.

This has worked well for me so far, so feel free to steal away!