[Access Lunch] Accessibility Lunch Guest Speaker Atieh Taheri (UCSB)

Jeffrey Bigham jbigham at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Jan 27 10:53:25 EST 2024

Hi Everyone,

We have a special guest speaker at Accessibility Lunch on Monday (1/29)
12pm -- Atieh Taheri from UCSB. You can see the title/abstract/bio for her
talk below.

Our speaker will be remote, but I highly encourage in-person attendance in
NSH 4201 -- as usual we'll have pizza. The zoom room is
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95635175391?pwd=ODhDOEZaUVM4cE5hYkFaRUs3T0tvZz09.

See you there!
-Jeff

Title:
Beyond Function: Inclusive Design for Empowering Experiences

Abstract:
Imagine navigating daily experiences without full control of your movement
or senses. Assistive technologies (AT) often focus narrowly on functional
restoration, overlooking holistic human needs. My research introduces an
inclusive design philosophy that moves beyond utilitarian assistance to
transform interactions for people with disabilities. I leverage approaches
like hands-free interfaces, immersive VR, haptics, and conversational AI to
create technologies that cater not just to functional limitations, but to
the psychological, emotional, and sensory aspects of experience. Through
participatory design and mixed-methods evaluations, we have built systems
enabling creative expression, seamless communication, virtual exploration,
and enriched sensory engagement with computers. This human-centric
methodology sets a new standard for assistive technology, augmenting
functional capabilities while resonating emotionally. It pushes the
boundaries of inclusive design to empower, include, and bring joy to those
often excluded. We stand at the cusp of a new era where technology moves
from isolation to connection, from limitation to liberation, from
disability to possibility. The future is one where inclusive technology
dissolves the line between ability and disability to promote universal
empowerment and equity.

Bio:
Atieh Taheri is a PhD Candidate at UC Santa Barbara, working under the
supervision of Professor Misha Sra at Human-AI Integration Lab. Her
research, characterized by its interdisciplinary nature, aims to redefine
the field of assistive technology (AT) by incorporating principles of
generative AI. Taheri's scholarly pursuit is marked by a shift from
conventional AT design, adopting a holistic and inclusive design philosophy
that extends beyond just functional capabilities. Her notable achievements
include developing an innovative hands-free video game input technique,
honored with the Student Game Competition Award for Innovative Interfaces
at CHI 2021, creating tools for artistic self-expression as well as
enhancing interactions with conversational AI agents, receiving the
People's Choice Best Poster Award at UIST 2023. Extending her expertise
into virtual reality, Taheri is pushing the boundaries of AT, focusing on
user experiences that provide assistance to individuals with motor
impairments and bridging significant gaps in current AT solutions. Her
methodology, combining quantitative and qualitative research, actively
involves diverse user groups, ensuring her solutions meet real-world needs.
Collaborations with industry leaders like Google and Apple further
demonstrate her commitment to practical, inclusive technology. Taheri's
technical expertise and her deep understanding of accessibility's
transformative power reflect her dedication to creating technologies that
are inclusive for all. Her contributions are shaping a more accessible,
inclusive future in technology.

--
==
Associate Professor