[Access Lunch] Call for Summer Project Collaborators: HCI Disability Guidelines

Breanna Baltaxe-Admony bre at ucsc.edu
Fri Apr 23 17:30:31 EDT 2021

I was just thinking about this and thought the Crip Technoscience Manifesto
could be a good place to pull from too!

https://catalystjournal.org/index.php/catalyst/article/view/29607

Bre

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 10:17 AM Sara Kingsley <skingsle at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Thank you so much Aaron and Jeff for the resources! We'll definitely cite
> and build upon those.
>
> I like how the National Center on Disability and Journalism style guide
> highlights preferences that specific disabled communities have. I am not
> aware of every group's preferences, especially around person-first
> language. I definitely need to do some more research on that. One question
> for the guidelines is maybe how much to break-down broad categories into
> specific disabilities in order to call attention to preferences and harmful
> stereotypes? Another is whether to center the Guidelines around
> accessibility and using assistive technology, given that resources exist
> for language?
>
> Everyone, we'll reach back out at the end of the semester. For those who
> have emailed, we'll schedule a first meeting for after that.
>
> Thank you again for the resources.  Appreciate additional resources or
> recommendations people have! Thank you
>
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:04 AM Aaron Steinfeld <steinfeld at cmu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I often point people to the National Center on Disability and Journalism
>> style guide. This has been around a long time and been refined over the
>> years.
>> https://ncdj.org/style-guide/
>>
>> Full disclosure, Lisa (spouse) was one of their Advisory Board members
>> back in the 2000's.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 10:40 AM Jeffrey Bigham <jbigham at cs.cmu.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It would be good to understand what is out there, and what we would
>>> seek to expand upon/improve.
>>>
>>> For instance, SIGACCESS has this document, which I refer people to a lot:
>>>
>>> http://www.sigaccess.org/welcome-to-sigaccess/resources/accessible-writing-guide/
>>>
>>> But, in general, I like the idea of helping people speak and write
>>> respectably. I feel like a lot of times well-meaning folks make
>>> obvious mistakes they could have avoided had they known where to look.
>>>
>>> -Jeff

>>> Disability Guidelines for Equity and Inclusion this summer? The guidelines
>>> would aim to follow the format of the HCI Gender Guidelines for Equity and
>>> Inclusion, which are at this link:
>>> https://www.morgan-klaus.com/gender-guidelines.htmlIf you’d be
>>> interested to join a working group and work together on the guidelines this
>>> summer, please send an email and we’ll start an email list and work to
>>> schedule the first meeting.

>>> you: https://calendly.com/sarakingsley/sara-schedule

>>> --
>>> ==
>>> Associate Professor
>>> Ph.D. Program Director
>>>
>>> Human-Computer Interaction Institute
>>> Language Technologies Institute
>>> Carnegie Mellon University
>>> jeffreybigham.com
>>>

> --
> [...]

Breanna Baltaxe-Admony
PhD Student | Graduate Community Manager
Computational Media
University of California Santa Cruz