[Access Lunch] **NEW MEETING LINK*** Reading for Thursday Feb 25

Cynthia Bennett cbennet2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 19 16:09:31 EST 2021

Hi Everyone,

Breanna did such an awesome job getting next week’s reading out early that I didn’t have a chance to share our new seminar link with her.

**Please take note; we will meet here from now on!
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95170225799?pwd=UkhZWmwwUkp6M3BMR1dsM0taNjNnZz09

Now resumes a copy of Breanna’s message with this week’s readings.

Hi everyone,

This week, we'll chat about interdependence, access intimacy, and forced intimacy. I'd like to share several blog posts from Mia Mingus and A.H Reaume for this week's reading. Thanks to Cindy for helping me curate this list!

Here are the readings for this week:

  *   Mia Mingus's speaking excerpts on interdependence

     *   https://leavingevidence.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/interdependency-exerpts-from-several-talks/

  *   A blog post by A.H Reaume on interdependence (also featured in Disability Visibility!)

     *   http://open-book.ca/Columnists/Interdependence-as-Disabled-Poetics-and-Praxis-Or-Why-My-Novel-is-Dedicated-to-My-Disabled-Friend-Maddy

  *   A blog post by Mia Mingus on access intimacy

     *   https://leavingevidence.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/access-intimacy-the-missing-link/

  *   A blog post by Mia Mingus on forced intimacy

     *   https://leavingevidence.wordpress.com/2017/08/06/forced-intimacy-an-ableist-norm/
If you're interested in reading more in the future, I've attached three readings on interdependence in assistive technology contexts. I'd also suggest this talk from Mia Mingus<https://leavingevidence.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/access-intimacy-interdependence-and-disability-justice/> as further reading.

I'm so looking forward to our discussion! I've really enjoyed being a part of this reading group and getting to know you all. :)

We welcome this message to be shared outside of HCII with anyone interested in accessibility, disability, and technology, but please do not post the Zoom link publicly.

All the best,
Bre

--
Breanna Baltaxe-Admony
PhD Student | Graduate Community Manager