[Storage-research-list] UC Santa Cruz has Assistant Professor (tenure-track) positions in computer security and privacy

Ethan L. Miller elm at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 30 14:06:54 EDT 2015

We welcome candidates with interests related to computer security and
privacy.  The storage systems group at UC Santa Cruz has significant
research in computer security issues, including security for HPC file
systems, secure long-term archival storage, and techniques for searching in
encrypted data.  There's other research at UCSC in security outside of
storage as well; we encourage you to check our Web pages for further
details.

I'm happy to answer questions anyone might have about the faculty
positions.  We look forward to your application!

ethan

====

The Department of Computer Science at the University of California, Santa
Cruz invites applications for two tenure track (Assistant Professor)
faculty positions; one in cybersecurity and the other in data privacy. We
seek outstanding applicants with appropriate expertise, established
records, and exceptional potential for research in the area of
cybersecurity or data privacy. In cybersecurity, our focus is toward
candidates whose work is in applied areas such as information security,
networked system security, secure systems, trustworthy computing, and
infrastructure and IoT security. In data privacy, we have a preference for
candidates who have expertise in information privacy, privacy in data
science, and tools and systems for ensuring data privacy. The successful
candidates are expected to develop a research program, advise graduate
students in their research area, obtain external funding, develop and teach
courses within the undergraduate and graduate curriculum, and perform
university and professional service. The candidate must be able to work
with students, faculty, and staff from a wide range of social and cultural
backgrounds. We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute
to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their
research, teaching, and/or service.

The Computer Science Department has nationally and internationally known
research groups in many areas, including data storage systems, database
systems, and machine learning. The department is home to the NSF
Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (I/UCRC) for Research in
Storage Systems. The proximity of the campus to Silicon Valley affords our
faculty extensive opportunities for interactions and collaborations with
industry. In addition, the university is embarking on a Data Science
initiative that will encompass a broad spectrum of research activities in
Big Data, including research efforts extending beyond computer science into
areas such as applied mathematics & statistics, astronomy, computational
biology and biomolecular engineering, economics, ethics and social
responsibility, as well as new efforts in areas such as computational
social science, the environment and sustainability, and learning analytics.

For further information, please see
http://apo.ucsc.edu/academic_employment/jobs/JPF00315-16.pdf.  The
application deadline is December 21, 2015.

--
Professor Ethan L. Miller
Symantec Presidential Chair in Storage & Security
Computer Science Department
University of California, Santa Cruz
web: http://www.cs.ucsc.edu/~elm/
o: +1 831 459-1222 / m: +1 831 345-4864
GPG keyprint: BD25 BA38 D7CF 09F1 16DE 369D 17A3 B4E3 AFA8 A69C