[Storage-research-list] HECFSIO 2012 Meeting Upate

Grider, Gary A ggrider at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 12 23:05:15 EST 2012

Apologies if you get more than one copy of this notice.

Colleagues, NSF has decided to sunset the HECURA program and thereby the HECFSIO NSF funded research going into the future.  This means there will not be another HECFSIO solicitation coming from NSF in the near future.  The purpose of the HECFSIO organizing committee was to develop and maintain a community around HECFSIO research, to convey HECFSIO research needs, and to inform government agencies about the overall national portfolio of research gaps and overlaps. Since we have not identified national level ongoing research funding, the need for the HECFSIO organization is in question.  This does not mean that all HECFSIO related  funding from the government has stopped, as agencies may at various times issue solicitations for this type of research.  Additionally, these potential funding agencies may conduct their own workshops/PI meetings etc.

We respect your time and we do not want to hold a workshop when we have no real identified ongoing funding streams for you to seek.  We have decided to pause the HECFSIO workshops at least for one year to have time to re-assess the government's needs and desires for the HECFSIO organization and the workshops.  It is possible that we may resume at a later date under the HECFSIO moniker or perhaps under other mechanisms.

We have enjoyed helping to build and maintain this community and we hope you continue to think about HECFSIO related problems and consider proposing to solicitations that may occur from time to time.

Thanks

The HECFSIO Technical Advisory Committee