[Storage-research-list] Call for Participation: IEEE 1244 Media Management Standard revision

curtisanderson1 at comcast.net curtisanderson1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 29 15:24:10 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Next month the IEEE Storage Systems Standards Committee will begin a revision
of the IEEE 1244-2000 suite of standards.  They define a removable-media
management system designed to catalog and automate access to a collection
of virtual or physical tapes or other media that is stored in automated (robotic
or virtual) libraries.

The system defined by the standards is:
* Vendor-independent and heterogeneous
* SAN-aware so that drives and libraries can be shared between hosts and apps
* Includes cataloging of media, access control policies, and library automation
* Based on a plugin architecture that allows incremental growth and migration
* Accessed via simple TCP/IP text-based protocols

There are currently two implementations of the standard:
* The ADM project in OpenSolaris (http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/mms)
* The OpenVault project on SourceForge (http://openvault.sourceforge.net),

I invite anyone who is interested in participating to contact me
(Curtis.Anderson at ieee.org) so that I can schedule an initial kick-off meeting
time that is convenient for  all.  There will be face-to-face meetings but there
will always be conference-call access,  so travel is not required to participate.

Please also forward this invitation to anyone or any email list that you think
might be interested.

Best regards,

Curtis Anderson, Chair IEEE SSSC
Curtis.Anderson at ieee.org