[Storage-research-list] File-system traces

Jeff Chase chase at cs.duke.edu
Wed May 9 13:34:08 EDT 2007

Forgive me if this is off-topic, but it seems like a good time and place
to put in a plug for Darrell Anderson's fstress package, which is a
synthetic trace generator and load generator for NFSv3/UDP.   It
generates NFS traces from a set of input parameters that define
reference distributions etc.  etc.  If your goal is to learn something
from the traces, then it won't help you.  But if your goal is to
evaluate storage servers then it can be very helpful.

http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/fstress/

Fstress has canned settings for several "representative" NFS workloads,
including SPECsfs.  If and when a larger set of NFS traces does become
available, it would be useful to extract the parameters to generate a
"similar" workload synthetically, e.g., with fstress.  Of course this is
a research topic.

Fstress has been quietly aging, but we have recently started using it
again and it seems to be pretty robust.   A good group of folks have
been using in industry, but I still see some papers go by from the
research community with really hoary evaluation methodologies like "the
Andrew benchmarks" or much more limited workload gens like Postmark.  As
a community I think we'd be better off with evaluations based on fstress
until something better comes along.

Jeff