[SIGBOVIK] Call for Papers, Reviews, Talks, and Answers 4.5: Update to the C[all]OVID-19 Update

SIGBOVIK Announcements sigbovik-announce at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 20 13:26:01 EDT 2020

Details for submitting talks and answers (as well as papers and reviews) are now up at http://sigbovik.org/2020 <http://sigbovik.org/2020>.

We especially encourage you to submit reviews—we need them now more than ever, and since our process is triple-blind, they’re easy to write!

Remember that the submission deadline (for papers, reviews, talks, AND answers) for SIGBOVIK 2020 was extended to Friday, March 27!

---

As expected, something bad did happen on Friday the 13th: since COVID-19 has decided to co-locate with, well, everything, SIGBOVIK 2020 will no longer be held in Rashid Auditorium! We’ve taken CMU’s advice on social distancing to heart and will have a virtual conference this year.

In the spirit of minimizing bias, we will exercise a level of blindness. This means that authors (and non-authors) are encouraged to submit audio recordings of their talks; those that submit talks are also required at the same time to submit at least two audio recordings of their answers to (imagined) questions but we encourage five answers (details for submission will be up on our website [http://sigbovik.org/2020 <http://sigbovik.org/2020>] shortly). On conference day, upon streaming a particular talk, we will blindly match questions from the audience to said answers.

Lastly, the submission deadline (for papers, reviews, talks, AND answers) for SIGBOVIK 2020 has been extended to Friday, March 27! This really is the final extension this time, probably. Almost certainly.

---

To All Students, Faculty, Staff and Sentient AIs:

The fourteenth annual SIGBOVIK conference will take place at Carnegie Mellon University on Wednesday, April 1, 2020 in [your current location]. The Special Interest Group on Harry Q. Bovik is a multidisciplinary conference dedicated to lesser-known research areas neglected by mainstream conferences, such as:
Complexity practice,
Highlight syntaxing,
Multi-armed philanthropists,
Connotational semantics,
Science computers,
Data of unusual size,
And many more!

The SIGBOVIK Organizing Committee is proud to announce that SIGBOVIK is the first conference to adopt a triple-blind peer review1 process.

1triple-blind peer review /ˈtrɪpl-blaɪnd piːr rɪˈvjuː/

noun

Scholarly peer review that minimizes bias by concealing not only the identities of the authors and reviewers from each other, but also by concealing the papers from the reviewers. Compare: single- and double-blind peer review.

We encourage everyone to submit both papers, reviews, talks, and answers regardless of affiliation, discipline, rationality, or goodwill. Authors of accepted papers are encouraged (but not required) to give a five-minute (not ten!) presentation of their work.

The submission deadline for both papers, reviews, talks, and answers is now March 27, 2020.

Further disinformation is available at our website:
http://sigbovik.org/2020 <http://sigbovik.org/2020>
To keep up with our announcements, subscribe to our low-traffic mailing list:
If you have no idea what’s going on:

SIGBOVIK is an evening of tongue-in-cheek academic presentations. If we have a goal, it’s to poke fun at our fields and provide a venue for silly ideas with (often but not always) serious executions. SIGBOVIK has both a published proceedings and live talks, and everyone is welcome to participate in either or both of these. All subjects are welcome, although be advised that the primary audience is computer scientists. The best way to get a feel for SIGBOVIK is to look at our past proceedings, which you can find at http://sigbovik.org <http://sigbovik.org/>.