[SCA-Dance] Pennsic Peace-week happenings

Thyra Eiriksdottir thyra.edottir at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:38:33 EDT 2018

Greetings, dancers! I keep my Pennsic-specific posting to a minimum over
here, but I wanted to make sure those attending got some useful information!

First, make sure you check https://pennsicdance.aands.org/ for schedule and
revel info. Masters Gregory, Aaron, and Avatar have been working to get
lots of info up there for dancers *and* musicians.

Second, there are so many revels this year that we're starting on the
Thursday of Peace Week! Thank you to all the hosts, it's shaping up to be
an amazing year. I asked for a theme of "Birds and Beasts" (or beasts and
birds?), and folks seem to be having fun with it.

Third, there will be more painting of floorboards during early Peace Week!
Things to know:
-Even if you don't bring grubby clothes, there are aprons and sleeve
protectors to use.
-We will be painting in the Great Hall, on elevated surfaces. Actual
painting times will be posted at the dance tent & online, as it is somewhat
weather-dependent. It will not start before Monday unless folks are
motivated without me.
-We got caught up at AE War Practice, with thanks to Hermankyn and Sion,
and a few non-dancers (Tysha, Creature, Arianna, Charani, and Dietrich, for
those that know them), so we only have to paint designs on 4 boards now. I
am *so* grateful that we got all the extra painting done before Pennsic,
and you should be too.

Related, so more folks know how things work:
             We have been very lucky to get help from work crews from
Vlad's and House Hedgehog (I hope I'm getting those names right) for
several years now with assembling the dance floor. This is an incredible
amount of work that we don't have to do in order to dance! There's no
guarantee it will go on indefinitely, but I make sure they know it's
appreciated.
             We (the dance community) replace ~4 boards a year (which is
about a 12-year cycle), by painting one year and inserting them the next
year. Old boards get repurposed for other departments, like the Middle
Eastern dance tent floor and anti-mud footing for other tents like Watch
and Herald's Point. It makes our department popular around town! There is
still set-up that the dance community does, like assembling the band shell
and all the benches, early in Peace Week. Please stop by after you're
on-site and settled to see what's going on and when!

Thanks for your kind attention,
Thyra
Dean of Pennsic Dance