[SCA-Dance] Sellenger’s Round variants

Alexander Clark alexbclark8 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 19:07:17 EDT 2017

I teach it just once in a while, mainly in a line (3rd ed. says that
longways for six is an option, and I suspect, based on Tom a Bedlam or
Gray's Inn Maske, in the Lovelace Ms., that this is a simplistic
description and six is just a typical number of couples to do it in line).
I go with doubles, not slips, for either formation, and I take it that the
first figure was supposed to be lead up if longways, or do doubles around
the circle if round.  It was only in the fourth and fifth editions that it
was published with four parts and two different opening figures, and I take
that to be an editorial mistake.

I use the Byrd tune the way it was originally written, except for some
simplifying, so the middle eight beats are not repeated.  The figures are:
Lead up a double and back (or two doubles around the circle), that again.
Chorus: Facing partner, two singles forward, a double back, set and turn,
set and turn.
Sides, chorus, arms, chorus.

--
Henry/Alex