[SCA-Dance] SCA Dance History

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 16:43:21 EDT 2015

   One of the things I would like to see happen for the SCA 50 Year Celebration would be some sort of presentation about SCA dance history and culture. Dance was listed as an activity on the flyer for the first tournament, and it has been a part of our events ever since, although to a different degree and in different ways.

   One way to do this would be to collect a written history before the event, if there are people willing to contribute to it. Another way would be to have somesort of talk or panel at the 50 Year event, if there are old timers who will be at the event willing to be on a panel. Another way would be to have performances or videos of dance through the years in the Society.  Would anyone here be able to help with any of this? I've been around since the '70's, but I've only lived in one kingdom, so I don't necessarily know who to contact.

Some possible topics:   Where did we get our dances from?
   How did SCA dance culture spread?
   Who were the movers and shakers in the dance community over the years?
   Specific dance origin stories - Laendler, San Serif Bransle, etc.
   Are there discernible eras or schools/styles of dance?
   What is the role of Dance in SCA culture as a whole?

   This would not be about what Dance *should be* or *should have been*, but about what Dance *has been* in the Society.

  (What Dance *should be* can be the topic for another panel.)

--Urraca