[SCA-Dance] "Drive the Cold Winter Away"

rendancer rendancer at zoho.com
Fri Feb 20 23:29:09 EST 2015

Hi, There is a dance-able version of this Song. It is on a album called Shepheards Holyday by Wandering Hands

This is an excellent album, you can find it on iTunes.

The song is 2:33

You should check it out. The person is a Dance Laurel her name is - Sara L Bonneville, (known in the SCA as Sara de Bonneville)
I also have the dance booklet that came with the CD

Jeanette

---- On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 19:17:38 -0800 Donna <lgp477 at up.net> wrote ----

On 2/20/15, Charlene C <charlene281 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone have a good danceable version of this? The second link
>> above has "Country Dances by the Broadside Band. This tape's version
>> has an AABBBBx3 structure (the 'B's could just be very long, so really
>> only BB), which should work with this reconstruction."
>>
>> Actually, what I just downloaded from Amazon, supposedly from
>> The Broadside Band
>> The English Dancing Master: Drive the Cold Winter Away
>> is AABB, 13 repetitions. The total time is 6:13, which is way longer
>> than any USA ECD dance I've heard. (I hear A as 8 beats, B as 16
>> beats, AABB is about 0:28. I found it hard to distinguish A from B
>> without referring to the Playford reproduction music in the first link
>> above.)
>>
>> Mind you, the tempo is good, which is much more than can be said about
>> the other renditions I heard, which tended to be for listening and
>> maybe half the speed you'd want to dance.
>>

> I like the tempo of this one:
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LE9D4E/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk6
>
> A=8 beats
> B=16 beats
> (AABB)x3
>
> Also, for those interested, this CD has the original tune for Adsons
> Saraband instead of New Exchange:
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LE9D94/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk8
> (Back in the ancient times when you couldn't buy single tracks, I bought
> this CD just for Adsons.)
>

> Perronnelle

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible
worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
To send mail to the entire list, be sure sca-dance at sca-dance.org is listed
in the To line of any response.