[SCA-Dance] "Drive the Cold Winter Away"

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Feb 22 00:03:13 EST 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:21:32PM -0600, Tim McDaniel wrote:

> In particular, a group call The Round has a fair number of dance
> instructions that show up high in search-engine hits, so I hit them a
> lot.  "duple-time music (two beats to the bar)" is noted only in the
> section "Notes on Calling".  The dances just have two-beat measure
> counts.

You might note that the usual musical notation for ECD is to have 4
quarter notes during a period of time in which you take 2 steps, or
1/2 of a ECD double. Good musicians understand that this music is in
"cut time" and play these quarter notes in pairs.

There's no substitute for learning a little bit about music if you
want to be able to read the notation for matching steps to the
music.

-- Gregory