[SCA-Dance] "Drive the Cold Winter Away"

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Feb 21 22:21:32 EST 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, White,John <john.white at drexel.edu> wrote:
> My understanding of the ECD genre as a whole, at least up until 1651
> or thereabouts, is that every step-figure (double, single, side,
> arm, set, turn, etc) takes either four beats (one measure/bar), two
> beats (half a measure/bar),
> This, I believe, is a fairly universal understanding, though the
> rule eventually changes as new steps and measure counts came into
> vogue
> (Note that I do understand that much of the music is transcribed so
> that each measure of music is two beats, which means that two
> measures makes one "dance" measure of four beats.

In particular, a group call The Round has a fair number of dance
instructions that show up high in search-engine hits, so I hit them a
lot.  "duple-time music (two beats to the bar)" is noted only in the
section "Notes on Calling".  The dances just have two-beat measure
counts.

> Anyway - yes, my ECD dance instruction sheets are written with the
> implied idea that a measure or bar is 4 beats.

Would that were consistent between publishers.

Danet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com