[SCA-Dance] Rant: I want beats. I wants steps. I don't want measures.

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Feb 9 02:39:29 EST 2015

On 2/8/15 8:30 PM, Alexander Clark wrote:
> The usual way to do Earl of Essex, by the sources, is a single to
> each side (probably in two beats per single), then double forward
> and double backward.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/Earl_of_Essex_Measure.html says

     A duble forward one single backe iiij times//
     Singles syde a duble forward reprynce
       backe

     MS Rawlinson Poet. 108, Bodleian Library, as transcribed by
     Wilson.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/ioc/concord.html has a lot of
transcriptions, all but one like that.

In the music I've heard, that allows all the steps as written, but
then the doubling doesn't fit with the music -- you start doubling
forward in the middle of a phrase, and it feels very awkward and
unnatural to me.

> And I don't recall that it was called an alman.

Apparently.  I'm just used to it being lumped in with a couple of Inns
of Court compilation with some almans, and I was taught it and done it
as using doubles like almans.

Danielis de Lindonio
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com