[SCA-Dance] Misc. questions from KWDS

Beth bgdeonna at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:04:55 EDT 2015

As one of those that taught branles at KWDMS  I specifically taught the from the  Arbeau and, while I mentioned that there were some regional variations I did not teach them.  We did not change partners and I mentioned that Arbeau says the  branles can be done as open lines or closed circles.

I also have mentioned that learning the words helps a lot.
YIS
Deonna

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 4 mini ™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

I have some questions from KWDS, and realized I could ask the list.
(And thereby ask Perronnelle, whom I was originally going to bother.)

Countess Judith de Northumbria (Rachel Lorenz)
Reconsidering the lilly: Gelosia, Amoroso and Belfiore

She cited Smith, A. William, _15th Century Dance and Music_, as the
source for the Amoroso version she taught.  She called that version
the "New York Public Library" version.  Is there any more information
on that particular source, or is it just a weird catalog number?
I'm idly curious about this bit.

As best I wrote it, the manuscript says that the piva is "a double
that is altered and accelerated by the music that stimulates the
dancer to it".  Is this the only definition of piva, or are there
similar ones from other sources?

Is Amoroso's tempo quaternaria?

Do I remember right, that she said that the manuals talk about one
person "leading", and there are pictures of people approximately in
file?  Is side-by-side also attested in pictures?

Bransles

I'm guessing that the versions I saw there are pretty much the
originals, and I've been dancing SCA alterations that make them
non-period (perhaps far from it)?

---

Pease Bransle: about the only version I've seen is as in
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/Pease_Bransle.html
"In the SCA, this dance is often danced as a partner-switching dance,
with the women going past their partners in measures 15-16 to the next
man in the circle. Arbeau mentions nothing of this practice."

---

Horse's Bransle:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/Horses_Bransle.html describes what
I've danced: line of men facing line of women, men progess one place.
He says "As usual, Arbeau says nothing about switching partners.  In
fact, the instructions for this dance are very hard to interpret;
there are other interpretations which are actually radically different
from this one.  They generally start by having the couples standing
beside each other, with both hands joined in promenade hold.  The
couple doubles to their left and right four times, and then the men
paw and move off to the left, followed by the women.  The only
difference is the starting position, but the dance ends up being quite
different.  I believe this is the only dance in Arbeau which has the
couples holding both hands."

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~grayn1/Horses.html
says Arbeau says "... the young man held the damsel by both hands.".

But I think the version I saw at KWDS was a ring dance, all facing in?

(I did run across the remarkably silly "Australian rules"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0OQ3MXzsg .  Hi, Elaine!
And Jamie?  Check out the end, when they went into cascarde moves.)

---

Hay Bransle: I'm going to be handicapped by never having danced this

YouTube videos showed two different tempos, but
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/Bransle_Hay.html says 8 "sets" for
the A and B section, where a "set" is single-single-double.  (When
calling, I tend to call "pavane" for that sequence to save time,
regardless of how fast it is.  Would "corante" be a better term?)

http://ieee.uwaterloo.ca/praetzel/mp3-cd/cecil_2/hay_br.mp3 is off
Saint Cecilia 2.  How many people does the hay section accomodate in
this rendition?  I count 24 beats.

Denyel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com
To send mail to the entire list, be sure sca-dance at sca-dance.org is listed