[SCA-Dance] The Ulm 1503 Ball

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 04:30:51 EDT 2015

I suspect that this sort of ball, like the Caroso ball, works better in a setting where people are likely to know the same repertoire, rather than at an event where people from very different places are attending. I must admit that I was caught flatfooted by a playlist that included almost nothing that I knew. The Ulm ball that Judith was inspired by is just another example of what seems to be a common practice of taking turns choosing a dance. Because this seems to be a common practice, I see no reason not to experiment with different ways to decide who chooses next, or different ways of setting up the playlist. Drackenwald dances mostly 15th century dances, so the Ulm setting works for them. At Terpsichore, where the cool thing is late Italian, the Caroso theme works.

 The only thing I did not like about the Ulm ball was the need to sort people by precedent. However authentic it may be, it was time consuming and awkward. However, this is another thing that would have worked better in period when people were always aware of rank, and which would work better in an SCA setting in which more people know each other than at a Known World event.

--Urraca