[SCA-Dance] Are you on Facebook?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 22:26:34 EST 2014

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> You're right, I meant to suggest that the initial posting and not
> subsequent comments get forwarded... and looking back, I see that I
> wasn't clear. And, of course, it would have to be announced. Asking for
> permission each time would probably annoy folks.
>
> Even only cross-posting initial postings and not comments might gather
> objections from a few people. The FB group is public, but it's public
> in a different way from the mailing list.

I see no particular value in having only an initial posting be
gatewayed.  Usually, most of the meat is in the body of the replies
discussing the issue.  That sort of gatewaying would be useful only
for announcements of events and such, which are rare.

Back when Usenet was the big sharing mechanism, there were plenty of
Usenet<->mailing list gateways.  It was announced, but no permission
was asked and I never heard of any objections.  Such mailing lists
were public, Usenet is public, it was simply a different propagation
mechanism.

Far from objecting to full gatewaying, I think it would be a fine
thing.  But I don't have the knowledge to do it, and not really the
gumption either.

Daniel Lindocollinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com