[SCA-Dance] Atlantia Dance Event: Storvik's Song and Dance

Patches patches023 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 17 22:01:15 EST 2014

Greetings,

The Barony of Storvik is holding a day of dance and entertainment on January
24, 2015, in Beltsville, MD.  The site is a hotel, which has a ballroom (for
the dancing) and an auditorium. We hope to see some of you here.  In order
to have the maximum time for the ball and performances, we will be having a
potluck feast.  Please bring a dish to share.  Below is information about
the dancing and the performances.  We have a Facebook event here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1613985845495030/?ref_dashboard_filter=calen
dar  We have a basic website here:
acorn.atlantia.sca.org/event_flyer.php?event_id=f95e67bd.  We should have a
more detailed website soon.  The cost is $10 for members/$15 for nonmembers.

Dancing

We will have dance events all day including dance classes during the day and
a ball in the evening.  We will have an open band for the ball and some of
the dance instructors would welcome live music for the classes.  If you wish
to teach a class, please send me (Patches at patches023 at Verizon dot net)
the following information:

Name: Your name
Point of Contact: Name and email address
Level of Difficulty of the class: beginner (no experience necessary),
intermediate (should be at least familiar with basic steps), advanced
(should know very well the steps)

Region/Time period: English Country, 15th Century Italian, 16th Century
Italian, Inns of the Court, etc.
Title of your class: Can be a working title

Description of your class: What you intend to do. This is to help me
schedule things so we don't get a half dozen of the same thing all
back-to-back.
Time required: How long it takes to do your thing, including any set-up and
break-down.
Music needs/requests: Would you like to see if we can find live musicians
for your class (we would need a list of the dances you will be teaching)? We
have a speaker that can play iPhone 5, iPhone 4 and below, iPod, but no
non-Apple players.  We can also bring a cd player, if you are old school.

Performances

There's a narrow little elevated stage, and some additional space in front
of the stage on the ground.  We intend to fill the stage with performances
all day long. Choirs, ensembles, commedia troupes, individual performers;
music, miming, poetry, theater, storytelling - anything goes! (...almost
anything. I'm fairly certain the hotel won't like fire dancers.) This is a
great opportunity to do longer-form work, or to assemble a compelling
program of your short pieces.  Contact Teleri the Well-Prepared at sca_bard
AT yahoo dot com. This is what she needs from those interested:

Name: Name of the group or individual performing
Point of Contact: Name and email address of coordinator for groups; contact
info for individuals
Title of your program/performance: Can be a working title.
Description of your program/performance: What you intend to do. This is to
help me schedule things so we don't get a half dozen of the same thing all
back-to-back.
Time required: How long it takes to do your thing, including any set-up and
break-down.
Other requirements: e.g., an electrical outlet for an amp. I can't guarantee
that I can meet them, but I will see what I can do.

Our preference is for 15- and 30-minute programs, to allow many people and
groups to take the stage. However, if your act cannot be done in less than
an hour, let's talk. We don't want to freeze out, say, the theater folks
with an arbitrary time limit.

Please re-distribute!

In service,
Patches

Storvik Song and Dance Autocrat

Teleri the Well-Prepared
Storvik Song and Dance Deputy Autocrat for Performance