[SCA-Dance] 1500 rip rip trab trab?

rosina at pathcom.com rosina at pathcom.com
Thu May 1 14:49:33 EDT 2014

Mercanzia + Sobria, a matched pair of dances by Domenico, both have the
men in the back separate with riprese on one foot, all done to the same
side. There was also a lot of improvisation done with these steps, that
is usually not described. (See Sparti's article on Rostiboli Fiorito
for more info, and the explanatory notes att he beginning of various
manuals.) Adding one or, if good, two extra ornamental movements on the
end of a step would be done - so doing 2 riprese on one foot, and then
throwing in 2 quick little trabs, sounds to me like a perfectly
15th-century thing to do. Except all that would be done in the time one
would normally do one (or maybe two) riprese. No extra time for the
trabs.

Rosina

----- Message from tmcd at panix.com ---------

----- End message from tmcd at panix.com -----