[SCA-Dance] Dancing at non-dance events

Justin du coeur jducoeur at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 10:44:11 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM, <patches023 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the validation about dancing after feast.  It seems like the
> consensus is that dancing after feast is not a recipe for success.  Can we
> turn the discussion to how to get the event stewards on board with doing
> the dancing earlier?  Usually dance is competing with other activities for
> space, how do people get the event stewards to give up some large space for
> dancing?  Or maybe my expectations need to be lowered.  When people have
> done dancing earlier in the day, has it been a big ball?

I recommend being realistic.  While we often get a decent turnout in the
afternoon, it's rare to get a *lot* of people dancing at a
non-dance-centric event nowadays.  I usually count it as fully successful
if we get 25 or so up, and am thrilled to get 40.  (And try not to be too
disappointed when we get only a dozen.)  Sadly, with a older club that is
not, by and large, as full of people who are focused on finding ways to
flirt with the opposite sex, it's a lot harder to get half the event up and
dancing...