[SCA-Dance] Article for Dance Musicians

Kim Barrett kab.conundrums at verizon.net
Fri Feb 21 02:31:42 EST 2014

On Feb 20, 2014, at 12:19 AM, Yves <yves.de.fortanier at comcast.net> wrote:

> I would really like to have slower versions of these three uncommon pieces from Playford. The recordings I use are in parentheses.
>
> Boat-Man (The New York Renaissance Band, Country Capers)
> Kettle Drum (same)
> The Merry Merry Milk Maids (same)
>
> Also would be nice to have...
>
> Gathering Peascods (same as above)
> Goddesses (Ansteorran Dance Symposium A.S. XXVII)
> If All the World Were Paper (Ansteorran Dance Symposium A.S. XXVII)
> Millisons Jegge (Wandering Hands, Shepheards Holyday)
> New Boe Peep (Musica Subterranea, Incantare)
> Newcastle (Bryn Gwlad Music Guild; Tape of Dance, Volume 3)
> Sellengers Round (Ansteorran Dance Symposium A.S. XXVII)

Some commercial / non-SCA recordings:

Three other recordings of Kettle Drum, called Puck's Deceit on all
three albums because there is a modern dance by that name to the tune:
Bare Necessities, "New Shoots - New American Dances"
Roguery, "Impropriety Volume 1"
Foxfire, "The Introduction"

The Boatman:
Bare Necessities, "A Playford Ball: Historical Dances from England"

Gathering Peascods:
Belshazzar's Feast, "John Playford's Secret Ball"

Goddesses:
Belshazzar's Feast, "John Playford's Secret Ball"
Foxfire, "The Introduction"
Carrie Crompton & The Baroque Folk, "Princess Royal" (slow)

Millison's Jegge:
Foxfire, "The Introduction” (called Impropriety, for the modern dance
to the same tune)

Newcastle:
Liz Donaldson, et al, "English Echoes" (two different recordings)
Broadside Band, "Playford: English Country Dances"

Most of these are available from CDSS (cdss.org), along with
many more.

Bare Necessities, Roguery, Foxfire, and Belshazzar's are all dance
bands, and the listed albums are mostly intended for dancing, though
generally with a more MECD sound.  [Bare Necessities has recently
produced a large number of dance CDs (mostly not SCA relevant), the
CDS English Country Dance Collection.  For a complete list, including
links to samples, see http://www.cds-boston.org/ecdc.]

In the interest of full disclosure, I know many of the musicians in
the above listed bands, and I'm a long-time member of CDSS and CDS.