[SCA-Dance] branle v bransle

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Sep 29 00:28:07 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:40:44PM -0500, Charlene C wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Stephen Kiefert <lanhamlaw at att.net> wrote:
>
> > Arbeau spells it branle but we often, as in the recent thread, see it spelled bransle - does anyone know when or how it changed
>
> Modern French has "branler"* meaning to oscillate, shake, or wobble. I
> checked Cotgrave's 1611 French-English dictionary and he shows
> "bransle" with the same meaning as well as noting it's the dance
> called in English "brawle."

Good list! I have a survey at:

"References to Dance in Sixteen Early Modern Dictionaries"
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/articles/dance_em_dict.html

The main additions to your comments would be that there are 0
references to bransles/branles/brawl-as-dance in Palsgrave's 1530
English-French dictionary, and a bunch in Cotgrave's 1611
English-French dictionary.

-- Gregory