[SCA-Dance] Pinagay bransle

White,John john.white at drexel.edu
Wed Sep 25 14:23:01 EDT 2013

> From: Charlene C
>
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
> >  The recording my group
> > has available for Pepper's Black has about an extra third of the dance
> > tacked onto the end.  The dance is energetic enough that we just stop
> > when the dance ends, but it would not surprise me if we started
> > dancing from the start.  A group I danced with elsewhere had a
>
> That recording is by Pyewackett and is a medley of Pepper's Black and
> Tomorrow the Fox WIll Come to Town. Pepper's Black was more popular
> when I started dancing 20 years ago and we did the dance 1-3/4 times
> through to fill the music. That also meant dancers were dancing off the
> phrasing of the music which also bugged me.
>
> --Perronnelle

It seems to me that, since Playford's Pepper's Black is a circle dance for as many as will
(though with a normal line-dance progression, as opposed to a dance-with progression),
the definition of "extra third" is relevant only to doing the dance with a certain number
of people.  I know that there exists a '4 couples in a square' version, but we really should
call that something at least somewhat different, since it is an SCA creation.

                \\Dafydd C