[SCA-Dance] SCAd-Dance Delving into the Trihory

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Fri Feb 1 21:02:12 EST 2013

Hi Judith (et al.)!

Having "delved" into the Triory, I have found "miner" discrepancies
between Arbeau's original French and the Evans/Sutton English version.
To wit, where Evans/Sutton give (without comment) a consistent version
to contrast with the "heel swishes", Arbeau gives two different
versions there. The real first version, in the tabulation, calls all
of the last three actions "pied en l'air". But the version in the
dialogue, where he goes on to say what to do instead of this, has
"marque pied . . . marque pied . . . pied en l'air". It seems to me
that the version with "marque pied" is actually more consistent with
the final version than with the first. This means that the
speculations about when to do heel movements, and when not to, are
based on a false version of the text. Arbeau's final explanation is
not really to be substituted for the first version (the three pied en
l'air version) at all, it is to be substituted for the second version,
which it closely resembles while adding more detail.

And my reading of the part about this being "at the end" is that it is
at the end of each repeat, and so the final version of the
instructions is to be substituted in at the end of every repeat. In
other words, it isn't the version done later in the dance, it's just
the finished version of the instructions. This is supported by
Arbeau's note to the Montarde (in the tabulation) about when to do the
turns, where he refers to that strain of the music as the "fin". This
is the "fin" every time it is played, not just at the very end, so the
"fin" that Arbeau refers to in the Triory is presumably likewise the
ending of every repeat.

As for modern folk dances, I only know a few Breton dances, none of
which has a similar movement. The closest thing I know is in a Serbian
dance step, done to a tune named Orijent, which I learned from Dick
Crum. It is done on the balls of the feet (as seems usual for central
Serbian dances), with small movements from side to side from one foot
to the other, and with each step both heels move together to the side.
This figure doesn't have a part where one is on both feet at once.

So . . . can you "dig" it? :-)

--
Henry/Alex