[SCA-Dance] La Volta at the Madison Early Music Festival

Del del at babel.com.au
Wed Aug 21 06:52:38 EDT 2013

On 20/08/13 20:11, David Learmonth wrote:
> Hey Del, isn't she supposed to be supported on your leg?  Or is this
> photo in the moment after you have withdrawn it?  Or is that only for a
> different version of La Volta, and not the tassle lift?

Yes, she was certainly supported on my leg for the first part of the
lift but wasn't after she got moving upwards.  I dropped my leg back
down for balance after she was high enough.  Basically to get someone up
that high you need a combination of the leg lift and a lift from the
waist & hips.  Actually I'm reasonably happy with my posture and balance
at the point of the lift shown in the photo, I have a background of
having done high lifts doing swing/jitterbug in my younger days and I
sometimes had problems with posture back then and had to work on it a
fair bit.  Getting a partner up to that height without having correct
balance isn't going to happen.  However flinging a partner up to a
height somewhat over my head height isn't anything new to me.

> (because otherwise, isn't the Lady doing all the work here, really?)  :P

No, trust me, she's not.  :)

Disclaimer -- Irina / Alliette is a little bigger than Lynnette but not
a whole lot bigger.  It still took a fair bit of timing and balance to
get the lift right, we'd practised for an hour or so before hand to get
the timing and height and distance correct, the latter of which I had to
judge by eye on the floor.

The back story to the photo is that every year at Canty Faire there is a
tassel kick competition which has actually become popular especially
amongst the younger gentlemen.  Points (subjectively) are awarded for
style, grace, correct galliard technique, steps, turns, etc, with bonus
points awarded for tassel height.  Most contestants have the tassel at
or around knee height.  When Alliette arrived on the floor she asked for
the tassel to be raised to over her head height, to the somewhat
amazement of the spectators.  She then galliarded in and as she
approached the tassel I stepped in and picked her up in a volta
turn/lift continuing upwards to have her kick the tassel at a height she
couldn't otherwise have reached.  Nobody knew that was going to happen
except the two of us so it produced a fair amount of amusement.  It
wasn't allowed in the competition of course but we didn't do it for that.

There is of course no such thing as a "tassel lift" in Lavolta, that is
entirely my invention.  The tassel kick dance comes from Negri who
doesn't mention anything like a lavolta.

Del