[SCA-Dance] Master Class?

Troy Daniels xcvii at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 26 13:19:58 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Mary Railing <mrailing2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, people who were not at the meeting where this was discussed
> seem to have missed the point of the suggestion that we have something like
> a master class. As Adele stated, the reason to have it on Thursday is that
> it would NOT be part of the main event. In fact, it I were organizing such
> a thing (which I am not) I would set up the fee structure such that the
> Thursday workshop would be an EXTRA cost, with the main event being the
> classes on Friday through Sunday event that it is now. The assumption is
> that only a few hardcore people would show up a day early to attend a
> special workshop. Who that hardcore group might be would depend on who the
> professional instructor was. If it were John Tyson, I would not show up,
> but I would not feel "excluded" because I would come for the regular,
> three-day KWDS, as usual.

When Carolingia ran KWDS, there was one day where John Tyson was teaching
the entire day.  This was scheduled against other classes.  I don't recall
hearing a lot of complaints: essentially, the "music track" that day was
John Tyson and more John Tyson.  Probably part of what made it work was
that most of the attendees were dancers, not musicians, so for most people
there was no real conflict.  I both dance and play, but even for me, an
opportunity to get a day of instruction from a professional was worth
missing all of the other classes offered that day.

Udalrich