[SCA-Dance] [SCA-dance] Notes from the Future of KWDS meeting

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 12:12:04 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM, David Learmonth
<david.a.learmonth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey!  As a trial run, let's add a day to Terpsichore at the Tower!  :)

Weeeeeeeellll... that's something that came up a few years ago, and we
did add the extra Friday night revel at Terpsichore, and you also have
the Sunday thing with Steps. It's nice when you travel to have those
kind of bonuses around the event.

But I'm not sure adding an extra day to an existing event would be the
best way to have people be able to learn from top laurels or
academics, though -- it would mean taking additional time off of work
for most people and it would substantially complicate planning the
event. I think it would be alright for KWDS because people already
plan on taking off time and on it being a complicated event to run.

I'd lean towards planning an entirely separate event that's focused
around whoever you're bringing in, heavily promoting it, and having
some ancillary activities that everybody can participate in. As a
model you might take a look at small-scale swing dance workshops --
typically they might bring in a big-name instructor to teach
intermediate to advanced classes during the day, and then have a dance
during the evening that will draw additional local people who didn't
take the classes.

Just my thoughts -- if lots of people were really excited at the
thought of adding something like this to Terpsichore I think we'd be
willing to explore it.

-a