[SCA-Dance] [SCA-dance] Notes from the Future of KWDS meeting

Justin du coeur jducoeur at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 10:14:46 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM, David Learmonth <
david.a.learmonth at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, yes, as Adele said, I think that the first main objective would just be
> to not have competing classes, so that we could all be there to learn from
> guest teachers and each other.
>
> >From there, how much different would they be from traditional classes?
>  Probably not much.  I think that they thus would fall in the reasonably
> advanced end of the spectrum, and though they certainly wouldn't be
> restricted to only laurels or what have you, I think there would be an
> expectation, at least expressed class by class / topic by topic, of a
> certain level of experience, and/or a willingness to proceed at the speed
> of the class.

Honestly, I think you have two very different goals here, which are so
badly in conflict that they shouldn't be combined.

That is, requiring it to be only one track of classes *and* making that a
Master track is a very bad idea, IMO.  KWDS isn't just for the advanced
dancers, and combining these principles really is a slap at everyone else,
whether you intend it that way or not.

Advanced classes are a lovely thing, and having *fewer* tracks on Thursday
is probably not a bad idea.  But having only a single track, where a
substantial fraction of the attendees aren't welcome -- that would, at the
very least, prove divisive.  (And counter-productive in the long run: while
they're not the be-all and end-all, it's crucial to attend to the needs of
the less-advanced dancers...)