[SCA-Dance] Alman steps (was Gresley: Grene Gynger)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jun 6 12:37:05 EDT 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, sarah scroggie <sarah.scroggie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On looking at my Inns of court again I would say that the "tret and
> retret" fits in place of the "2 singles sides" both of which feel
> like they fill the same dance function as a "set" as in "set and
> turn" and are not infrequently followed by a turn.

I don't have a dance source handy.  What is "2 singles sides" in
almans?  Is that what is often called "set" (as in "and turn") in
Black Alman?

I keep looking for the slightest justification for interpreting
Gresley's "trett, retrett" as setting, pushing nice familiar "set and
turn" from Playford back thru Inns of Court into Gresley.  Alas! that
Gresley also explicitly and frequently specifies bransling!  But I
still wonder whether they were different styles of sideways steps ...
Like just checking now, the difference between Caruso's Seguito
Ordinario versus Doppio, as described in
http://www.saltare.meridies.org/dances.php?id=76 ... oh, that looks
like a lovely site.

Danyll de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com