[SCA-Dance] Fw: Gresley: Grene Gynger

sarah scroggie sarah.scroggie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:57:51 EDT 2012

Here is an example of a gresley dance that seems to me very similar to an
Inns of court dance:

#10 What so ever ye wyll, de duobus

doble trace   ( here substitute Alman doubles)
After the end of the trace: trett and retrett togedere and thre forth with
a step. ( single forward, single back and double forward)
Then trett and retrett togeder and both torne at onys. ( single forward,
single back and turn)
Then both forth togeder with 6 singlis; and then change handes. (two
doubles forward and switch sides (as in Black Almain))
Then forth with oder sex singlis and change handes. ( another two doubles
forward and switch sides again)
Then trett and retrett at onys. ( single forwards, single back)
Then rake both at onys. (then ?????)

This is not exactly any Inns of court Allman that I know of but it seems to
fit the pattern. Not that it doesn't fit a 15th balli pattern, but the
single forward and back feels more like the Allmans to me.

   Emma

On 6 June 2012 09:32, Justin du coeur <jducoeur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2012, sarah scroggie <sarah.scroggie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Some of the two person dance could almost fit the structure of an
> > > Inns of Court Allman with little alteration.
> >
> > Thre singlis with a stop == an alman double?
>

> Sounds somewhat closer to a Caroso Ordinario to me, but that depends on
> your reconstructions.  (There isn't a lot of consensus about alman
> doubles...)

Sarah Scroggie,
Mother and Theatre technician/ set designer

Cell: (519) 217 7274
Home: (519) 940-0047