[SCA-Dance] Flirting in Talian Ren

Justin du coeur jducoeur at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:27:06 EDT 2012

Personally, I mainly flirt with my floorwork.  Once you internalize that
you don't have to simply go around the room in a circle -- and that it's
probably not period to do so anyway -- you can become very expressive with
choreography.  There's a world of difference between going far away and
coming back, zig-zagging with some pavanaggiare, or even circling your
partner and reverencing right in front of them.  Lots of opportunity to
experiment and express yourself with your feet and eyes.

Indeed, floorwork is *such* a powerful tool for flirting that you need to
pay pretty close attention to your partner, and make sure you don't cross
any personal-space boundaries.  (There are lines I don't cross unless I am
*quite* serious about the flirting, and reasonably confident that it's
mutual.)

Partner-switching happens from time to time (indeed, it's almost a rule
that Gundormr will shark me at least once per practice), but I don't really
think of that as flirting...