[SCA-Dance] Fw: Gresley: Grene Gynger

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 12:49:10 EDT 2012

Given that the primary sources differ on just how the rising and falling motion is supposed to work in a 15th century double and just what a ripresa is, etc., and that modern reconstructors differ on just what a ripresa is, etc. (try comparing Ingrid Brainhard and Barbara Sparti sometime*) I don't think is is necessary to sweat the footwork too much, especially in "light" dances like Petit Riens. A double in bassadanza is slow enough to need attention to timing, but telling people that a saltarello is three steps and a hop and a piva is step-cut-step should be enough to get people dancing. The rest may be learned as they say, "by practice and demonstration". If you are concerned with trying to get it exactly right, you will find that's a moving target as more data becomes available and scholars rethink the existing interpretations. That can be an exciting hunt, but you can't drag everyone else along with you. The people who just want to dance don't need
 or want those details, and social dancers of the fifteenth century may not have cared about doing steps in one precise way either. Barbara Sparti wrote an article called "Rostiboli, Take Two" in which she talked about some lawyer's notes (why is it always a lawyer??) that described two versions of Rostiboli *with ornaments written in*. Apparently dancers at the time did not regard the steps as something written in stone.

--Urraca

*Ingrid Brainhard said a double was down-up-flat. Barbara Sparti said a double was step flat on the upbeat and rise on the next two steps. At least she taught it that way at a workshop many years ago. I once posted something on the Rendance mailing list to the effect that "Barbara Sparti says such and such" only to have Sparti herself post something like, "I used to say that, but not anymore".