[SCA-Dance] Quick: The name of Le Bens?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jan 31 15:13:22 EST 2012

I asked previously about the name of Ly Bens Distonys, about one year ago.

I'm putting together a dance cheat-sheet booklet for Bryn Gwlad
Candlemas.  (If you're at all near Austin, Texas, come by -- we have
dancing during the feast.)  Since it needs to be printed ASAP, fast
replies would be appreciated.

Ly Bens Distonys is the name it's commonly known by.

http://www.basdance.hampshire.org.uk/lebens.html has
"Ly Bens Distonys/Lebens Disinens/Lubens Discuneus"
Are they alternate spellings from the manuscript?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libeaus_Desconus
is an Arthurian romance, a variant of Le Bel Inconnu, and given the
variations above, as discussed here last year, it looks like the
much-mangled source of the name, which would justify variations like
Lybius Disconus (Le Beau D{e'}connu), which I found Googling
elsewhere.

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com, Fri Jan 15 16:00:17 EST 2010, wrote
> Also, there was a discussion about Ly Bens' name a while back on
> this list, which ought to be in the archive...
but I can't find it.

Since it's just a dance cheat sheet, I'm inclined to list it first
under the most common name and a likely alternate,

     Ly Bens Distonys [Libeaus Desconus]

Alas that space constraints don't allow me to do the same with
"Maltese Bransle".

Danihel Lindicolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com