[SCA-Dance] Fwd: Danserye and Paris Dancebook

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jan 23 23:35:49 EST 2012

On the Bryn Gwlad Early Music list, Damien asked:

     After last Sunday's practice, Cindy and I talked about other
     dances we don't do very often and Daniel joined in.  I mentioned
     a couple of dance books I have that I believe do not have extant
     choreography, although I would love to be proved wrong.  These
     are:

     Danserye, by Tielman Susato (Netherlands / Belgium) - 1551
     Paris Dancebook, by Pierre Attaingnant (France) - 1530

     Both authors have quite a bit of content available in open source
     form on the internet.  If anyone is interested, I can bring the
     books to our next event.  Both are scored for multiple recorders
     (three or four).  Most of the music is quite nice.

     Note that both authors are also used quite a bit by modern
     musicians (e.g. Blackmore's Night uses both).

I am but an egg in the field of dance.  Are these well-known in dance?
Brief Googling suggests that Attaingnant at least has basse dances and
some other types.

Danet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com