[SCA-Dance] Contrapasso 15th C / 16th C

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 13:03:33 EST 2012

There is nothing like the 15th century contrapassi in the 16th century step repertoire. It is possible that the dance name "Contrapasso" refers to the dancers moving counter to each other in the figure-8. (This does seem to be the signature figure of this dance, since I have seen another choreography with instructions to do the "turn from the Contrapasso.")

As for how the figure-8 is done, the instruction "they turn (voltaranno) to the left" doesn't necessarily imply a figure-8. It could be a turn over the left shoulder, more or less in place, followed by a turn over the right shoulder. Scadians make lobes left and right perpendicular to the direction we are facing, but that is purely an interpretation. It is also possible that the first step of each lobe is toward one's partner, rather than a sharp pivot to the side. If you find a turn to the left awkward, perhaps a flanking step forward to begin each turn would work better for you. (I find a turn to the left with the left foot free perfectly natural.)

--Urraca