[SCA-Dance] La Vita e Bella (pun intended)

D. Peters dpeters at panix.com
Thu Aug 16 11:06:01 EDT 2012

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Alexander Clark wrote:

> On 8/15/12, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Alexander Clark <alexbclark at pennswoods.net> wrote:

>> I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with cascarde and don't know
>> Thyra -- why is this "a horrible idea", and what's the
>> significance/pun of "Life is Good" (if I'm interpreting the Italian
>> correctly)?  At a glance, it looked pretty close to Bella Gioiosa.
>
> With a grave accent, the title would mean "Life is Beautiful" (like
> the movie). Without, it means "La Vita [di Cholino] and Bella
> [Gioiosa]".
>
> And "Buongiorno, Principessa!" is a quote from _La Vita è Bella_.

The only "La Vita e Bella" I'm familiar with is Roberto Benignini's "Happy
Holocaust" movie.  Dunno that I'd want to name a dance after *that*, but
de gustibus etc.

Rufina/DP

"I'm exactly as I appear.  There is no warm, lovable person inside.
Beneath my cold exterior, once you break the ice, you find cold water."
      --Gore Vidal, 10/3/25-7/31/12