[SCA-Dance] Welsh mss c. 1595 lists dances from Gresley, Playford, Inns of Court

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 15:42:46 EDT 2011

Is this the same list of dances that was posted on SCA-Dance a while ago? (See
below.)

--Urraca

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:46:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Emil Stecher <svartorm at netaxs.com>
To: sca-dance at andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: Welsh Christmas Party playlist- 1595
This message was posted to the sca-minstrels list by Baroness Tangwystyl
verch Morgant Glas Vryn, OL. I thought it might be of interest to the
readers of this list since the article she discusses clearly documents
several Playford dances to period.

<SNIP of discussion of Welsh harp music>

Relevant to that, I thought I'd share something I came across while doing
literature searches for my linguistic research. It's from the Bulletin of the
Board of Celtic Studies (vol.8: pp.8-10), an article by Ifor Williams entitled
"Cerddorion a Cherddau yn Lleweni, Nadolig 1595" (Musicians and Songs in
Lleweni, Christmas 1595). It's a transcription of a list of performers and music
performed at a Christmas celebration in northeastern Wales. The musicians have,
in general, Welsh names (or Welsh-style) and most are designated "tylynior"
(harper) or "prydydd" (poet). But the "play-list" is essentially entirely
English -- excepting the occasional tune named after a Welsh town or nobleman.
In fact, you'll recognize a lot of old friends.

Henwe y gwyr wrth gerdd a fu n lleweny wilie r natolic 1595
[Names of the men of music who were in Lleweny at the feasts of Christmas 1595]:

Thomas ap Richard
Lewis penmon
Simunt vaughan prydydd
Rytherch dylynior
John llivon
peilin
Walter gruthor [i.e. "crwthwr", player on the crwth or crowd]
... gruthor
hughe penant prydydd
John Robert Telynior
Evan goch prydydd
John James Tylynior
Edward mechain Tylynior

[The tunes -- I've left the interpretation as a game for the reader]
fourtune
Jonson his meddle
pinsinge the peticote
hatharne budes
donne right synior
grine slifes
gouldilockes
who can tell
floweres of komfort
who can tell
floweres of komfort
hartes ease
blache smithe
the countese of lester dun~p
fadinge
will stuard
larouse
clif his rounde
about the bankes
Broune smith
Robing hud
mi hill wheeler
the sycke manes health
lunden g*ge
tarlton trunke hose
pegi hath lost hur garter
light of love
hamlinton his health
light of love
hamlinton his health
halfe haniking
shifling the knave of klobes
gini gether payers
wite a westemaster
loth to depart
the begininge of the warld
the milner
the juge his danse
alen his flapes
alen his march
mistres wite his choyse
sweet barbera
jocand dary
hight for my tompens
makinge was a kuntraye mayd
blacke krooe fether
com hither or labeca
blacke krooe fether
com hither or labeca
hole in my heele
labandilo shot
pegi ramsdale
Rooe well yow mariners
woodes so wilde
staynes moris
soing of wootes
seedanen [one of the few possibly Welsh names -- this is probably "Sidanen",
i.e., "the
          silken one", a Welsh nickname for Elizabeth I]
sundaye morning
peper is blac
can yow not hit it
woodes so wilde
cali his onestie
over the brode water
nwe moten or nova castrona
sasnet
nwe moten or nova castrona
sasnet
nwe antesvp
goe to bed sweet hart and I will com to thee
floures of the bromne
tom duf
mun dese
motle
Rused and toni
petisivol
orlando
nwecast
the milner
tarleton is buten cape
the mar chent doghter
shaking of sheetes
lacoranto
motle
nut meckes and ginger
the vicker of fooles
the crampe
mistres shandoes good night
listi galant
blacke almor
*even at ***ard
So based on this information, one highly authentic thing for a 16th century
Welsh harper to be playing at a Welsh Christmas party is the Enlgish Top-40 of
the day!

Tangwystyl
                            Barak Raz
                         (Emil M Stecher)