[SCA-Dance] Powered speakers

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Sun Aug 28 15:38:27 EDT 2011

"Keyboard amplifier" refers to portable amp/speaker combinations primarily
used to provide sound from a digital keyboard.  These are made by
companies like Roland, Peavey, Alesis, etc.  The term is used by makers of
amplifiers for musical instruments.

The usual input is for a microphone ("mic") input and a line level input,
usually with XLR for the mic and 1/4" jacks for line level.  The Alesis
Sumo 300 combines a 4 channel mixer with some digital effects and tone
controls, so they can be used as a small PA system. ("Small" is relative
to professional PA equipment, 300 watts RMS driving a 15" bass driver/HF
horn is by consumer standards very loud.)

There are inexpensive adaptors which convert 1/4" mono ("TR" to musicians)
to the 3.5mm stereo mini phone plug used by consumer equipment.  The Ion
Block Rocker is the only one I've seen with RCA jacks and an iPod cradle.

Roland seems to make the ones most popular among musicians (I have a hobby
of providing sound reinforcement to musicians); the Peavey and Alesis
units have a lesser reputation.  The Ion is aimed at consumers.

Alan Culross

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, tmcd at panix.com