[SCA-Dance] Powered speakers

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Sun Aug 28 15:38:27 EDT 2011

"Keyboard amplifier" refers to portable amp/speaker combinations primarily 
used to provide sound from a digital keyboard.  These are made by 
companies like Roland, Peavey, Alesis, etc.  The term is used by makers of 
amplifiers for musical instruments.

The usual input is for a microphone ("mic") input and a line level input, 
usually with XLR for the mic and 1/4" jacks for line level.  The Alesis 
Sumo 300 combines a 4 channel mixer with some digital effects and tone 
controls, so they can be used as a small PA system. ("Small" is relative
to professional PA equipment, 300 watts RMS driving a 15" bass driver/HF
horn is by consumer standards very loud.)

There are inexpensive adaptors which convert 1/4" mono ("TR" to musicians) 
to the 3.5mm stereo mini phone plug used by consumer equipment.  The Ion 
Block Rocker is the only one I've seen with RCA jacks and an iPod cradle.

Roland seems to make the ones most popular among musicians (I have a hobby 
of providing sound reinforcement to musicians); the Peavey and Alesis 
units have a lesser reputation.  The Ion is aimed at consumers.

Alan Culross

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, tmcd at panix.com 

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Michael L. Squires <mikes at siralan.org> wrote:
>> Ion makes a battery-powered box called the "Block Rocker" which is
>> really a small battery-powered keyboard amplifier.
> I know nothing about audio, so I've not heard the term "keyboard
> amplifier" before.  Is it literally an amplifier that works only for
> electric keyboards, or can they be used with, say, some sort of jack
> coming out of a laptop?
> Danyll de Linccolne
> -- 
> Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com

More information about the Sca-dance mailing list