[SCA-Dance] Laptop music programs?

sarah scroggie sarah.scroggie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 01:38:19 EDT 2011

I hadn't really thought about the issue of stopping at the end of a track as
a dance practice issue, as I usually work with live musicians and haven't
had a regular practice in 10 years, but it is a common problem I deal with
in live theatre. I just found a really good free program for Windows called
muliplay, that will run a single track or loop it how ever you like. It will
start the new cue every time you press the space bar (or you can add in a
wait 10 seconds and run it again, for example.) If you are wanting to work a
section several times you can set up start and end positions in a track or
add in volume boosts to indicate a section change if the music is all the
same. The draw back I would see is you might need to do the programming
before the dance class especially while you are learning the program.
http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/multiplay/index.php

If you are working on a Mac, Q-lab is the recommended playback program for
theatrical use.

           Emma Dansmeyla

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Charlene Charette
<charlene281 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Gwommy 'Bill' Holderman
> <gwommy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The only thing that
> > I don't like about iPods is that you have to make sure to stop the music
> > before it starts to play the next tune in the playlist. And making
> > individual playlists for each song is a pain.
>
> Yup, this is a major PITA. My workaround is to add the next dance to
> the on-the-go playlist, then when I play the track it's the last song
> in the list and stops at the end.
>

> > Also, as Daffydd mentioned, I use a plug-in for WinAmp called PaceMaker
> > which allows me to adjust the tempo without changing the pitch. I find
> it's
> > great for teching, if something is too fast, I'll just slow it down for
> > people.
>
> I have some Christmas money to spend and am considering getting an mp3
> player that allows variable speed. There are a few of them available.
>

> --Perronnelle
>

> --
> What you see but can't see over is as good as infinite.  -- Thomas
> Carlyle (1795-1881)

Sarah Scroggie,
Mother and Theater technician/ set designer

Cell: (519) 217 7274
Home: (519) 940-0047