[SCA-Dance] 9 verses of Rufty Tufty?!

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 20:22:39 EDT 2011

If you want a copy of the "Ansteorra Kingdom Dance Workshop" booklet, give me a paper address, and I'll send it to you. Note that it is of value mainly for historical interest, as a snapshot of the state of dance in Ansteorra at the time when Vashti was just beginning to encourage Italian dance down there. She got Master Sion to fly in to teach at the seminar, which is why the tape contains music for a couple of Negri dances and the Canario. I recall Vashti saying that she was having trouble getting the musicians to play music for dances that they were not familiar with, which is why the Canario came out sounding more like a waltz.

So my guess is that the versions of Black Nag and Rufty Tufty on the tape were done by imitating a recording, rather than by the musicians having a standard arrangement available. The instructions for Rufty Tufty in the booklet give the standard verses, and then say, "repeat entire dance until music ends." The instructions for Black Nag say nothing about repeating the dance. The booklet is a compilation of handouts, so the amount of information given for each dance varies.

--Urraca