[SCA-Dance] Did pavanes go away?

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 11:58:50 EDT 2011

Most likely, people figured out how inauthentic most SCA pavan choreographies are, and stopped doing them in favor of more appropriate dances. Since I don't think most of them were that popular anyway, it would be easy to let them die of neglect. Earl of Salisbury *almost* passes muster as a measure, and it is still danced fairly often in the Midrealm. Carolingian is still done a lot. I have been trying to encourage people to do improvised solos instead of the ridiculous "man gets down on one knee while the woman goes around him" thing. (By the way, I saw a Youtube clip of an otherwise very authentic renaissance dance performance in Russia that ended with this, so SCA pavans are alive there...)

--Urraca