[SCA-Dance] Suggestions Wanted

Charlene Charette charlene281 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:18:02 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM, David Learmonth
<david.a.learmonth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to mention that I agree that there is some difference in how
> we deal with Timing, versus Contra Dancers.  Now, I think that the good
> contra dancers will tend to take the same amount / correct amount of time
> per repeat of the dance.  However, what I always found, that was rather
> frustrating to me, was that contra dance callers / teachers never seem to
> actually tell you how long a figure is supposed to take!  They just tell you
> to listen to the music.  But that means that you have to do a trial and
> error approach for the first few iterations of the music, to see what seems
> to fit best.

There's just been a REALLY long discussion about this on the MECD
list. There seems to be a split between "teach the counts" and "we
want people to dance, not count the music." (VERY brief summary. The
arguments on both sides are definitely more nuanced.)

--Perronnelle

--
If you've struck a knife into someone's back, have the good taste not
to report him to the police for unlawful possession of a weapon.  --