[SCA-Dance] One Hour of Dance - Class details

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:47:55 EDT 2010

Up in Ealdormere, this is often how we'll have our suites, and I think it
has migrated over to Terp.  We enjoy it as part of the game of trying to
keep up / figure out the dances.

Though the implementation wasn't perfect on this one.  There were just a few
aspects that threw it off a bit:
- probably could have done an extra repetition or two of each bransle in the
initial in-order lineup
- Felice's class was first thing in the morning, and so not too many people
caught it, so we probably should have had a very quick walk through of the
dances before they started as well, partly to make sure we would all do the
same version.  (I also messed up and was doing some different variations,
and was calling these, just to give people something to work with for those
who weren't certain what to do)  - I think this was Felice's plan, just that
in the hustle and bustle, it didn't end up happening.
- it was difficult to hear during music transitions, which made it more of a
challenge.  Perhaps the lone musician who was leading needed to be mic'ed a
bit louder.  (at our event in Ealdormere, we don't have as many people, so
it isn't too much of an issue)
- Some Bransle suites appear to work better than others:
  - the traditional one (Cassandra, Pinagay, Charlotte, War, Aridan) seems
to work well.  This may partly be because they all maintain the same
directions  (i.e. you don't end up having to all go in and out of the
circle, like in Maltese, for example).  But it is still fun to try random
assorted suites.  :)
   - but also, we noted that normally you have the first 4 beats to figure
out the dance, but Double and Single bransle seems to sound the same for
this portion.
(of course if we jump to the latter half of a dance, then we just have to be
on the ball to correct for this as quick as we can)

Yeah, I just wanted to make some comments.  It was still fun, and a worthy
effort, just a little bit chaotic.  :)

Darius