[SCA-Dance] One Hour of Dance - Class details

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Mar 24 14:23:01 EDT 2010

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, David Learmonth <david.a.learmonth at gmail.com>
wrote:
> - one potential addition that has been mentioned is that I should
> edit my music to have an extra repeat, and then to NOT call out the
> dances before hand, but instead to just let people treat it more
> like a bransle suite, giving them that first repeat (or a few bars)
> to get into appropriate groups

Tangent: the bransle suite at Terpsichore was not like the few bransle
suites I'd seen elsewhere -- though since I don't go to wars or many
dance events, maybe this variation is common.

The version I had seen had an announced list of N bransles, and they
were done in order, several repetitions of each.  At Terp, I think the
bransles were done in sequence at first, but then one musician would
play solo (presumably first signalling the others to stop and listen)
to jump into a bransle, and the other musicians would join in after a
phrase.  And the playing wasn't necessarily at the start of the
bransle, but could be in the middle; for example, jumping into the
"paw paw step" part of Horses' Bransle.

Denyel Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com