[SCA-Dance] Accidentals in Horses' branle

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Jul 10 00:04:39 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 08:00:27PM -0400, Alexander Clark wrote:
>
> > I'm working on music notations for my Known World Handbook article, and
> have
> > found that I have a little problem with the Horses' branle.
>
> We can have a nice discussion about notation and ficta in this era,
> but I think that a Known World Handbook article ought to aim at
> compatibility with the SCA as it is.
>
> Does Evans/Sutton have any notes about the music?

No, they don't have any notes about this dance at all. For SCA versions,
I've checked a Pennsic Pile version, which has B flats throughout the second
strain, and the old KWH version, which has a B flat accidental in the first
measure of the second strain, leaving a B natural shortly before the end of
the first half of the strain. The latter seems to be a more literal version,
but I don't assume that this makes it more correct.

--
Henry/Alex